When your vehicle starts shaking or vibrating while you’re driving, it can be an alarming event and is a sure indication there’s something wrong. This type of behavior can indicate a need for anything from a minor repair to something far more serious.
Common reasons why car vibrates:
- Tire issues: The most frequent causes of a car shaking while driving stem from tire issues. Tires begin to behave differently when worn or out of balance. Tire replacement, realignment, and re-balancing are common solutions.
- Engine firing issues: When one or more of your vehicle spark plugs isn’t firing correctly, it can cause your vehicle to vibrate. Typically, this problem will also cause your check engine light to illuminate. If a misfire is the cause, a loss of power or “hesitation” will usually accompany the vibration.
- Brake system issues: If the vibration or steering-wheel shake only occurs when you apply the brakes, it’s likely time to have your brake pads and rotors checked. As rotors are prone to heat, puddles, and stress, the metal tends to deform. A warped rotor can happen at anytime, but may also indicate the require your brake pads to be replaced.
- Engine mount issues: The motor mount links the engine to your car’s chassis, and is designed to isolate engine noise and vibration from the passenger compartment. As mounts wear over time, the vibration may be more pronounced at idle while in gear, and may change when the car is placed in neutral or park. Broken motor mounts can lead to larger problems in the driveline, and should be promptly addressed.
- Suspension issues: Issues with your front suspension can also cause your car to shake or vibrate. When this is the case, your car will act normally when stopped, but will start vibrating during changes in speed or when traveling over bumps. Suspension problems may also be accompanied by odd noises like periodic clunks, squeals, and squeaks.
How it’s done:
The mechanic will check the tires, suspension components, brake system, and mounts to identify the problem.
How important is this service?
Although the cause of your vehicles shakes and vibrations may be relatively minor, they may have the potential to wreak havoc on other system parts if ignored. Having a skilled technician address the source of the concern early can prevent a minor issue from becoming a major headache. Our expert mechanics have the experience, knowledge, and skills to efficiently diagnose your cars newfound jitters.