The steering gear is a device for converting the rotary motion of the steering wheel into straight-line movement of the steering linkage. The steering gears are positioned in a box, known as the steering gear box. The steering wheel attached directly to the steering linkage making it require a great effort to move the car front wheels. However to assist the driver, a reduction mechanism is applied. Below are the different types of steering gear
- Worm and sector steering gear.
2. Worm and roller steering gear.
3. Cam and double lever steering gear.
4. Worm and ball bearing nut steering gear.
5. Cam and roller steering gear.
6. Cam and peg steering gear.
7. Recirculating ball nut steering gear.
8. Rack and pinion steering gear.
SEE ALSO:HOW TO HANDLE A LOOSE STEERING