An emergency steering system, as the name implies, is a system which is used during the failure of the main steering system of the ship. In this article you will learn to what exactly is the steering system and what the process for starting the emergency steering system is.
What to know about the Emergency steering:
A ship comprises of electromechanical steering gear unit which steers the vessel from one port to other. Normally steering gear unit is 2 or 4 ram electro-hydraulically operated unit with two or more hydraulic motor for the ram movement.
A condition can arise in which the remote control operation may fail to function and there can be a sudden loss of steering control from the bridge. This can be because of sudden power failure, any electrical fault in the system or the control system which includes defective tele-motor or servo motor which is used for transferring the signal from bridge to the steering unit.
To have control the steering of the ship at such emergency situation with manual measure from within the steering gear room, an emergency steering system is used.
How to carry out Emergency steering Operation
The following facts should be followed for emergency steering operation.
- The procedure and diagram for operating emergency steering should be displayed in steering gear room and bridge.
- Even in emergency situation we cannot turn the massive rudder by hand or any other means, and that’s why a hydraulic motor is given a supply from the emergency generator directly through emergency switch board (SOLAS regulation). It should also be displayed in the steering room.
- Ensure a clear communication for emergency operation via VHF or ships telephone system.
- Normally a switch is given in the power supply panel of steering gear for tele motor; switch off the supply from the panel.
- Change the mode of operation by selecting the switch for the motor which is supplied emergency power.
- There is a safety pin at the manual operation helms wheel so that during normal operation the manual operation always remains in cut-off mode. Remove that pin.
- A helms wheel is provided which controls the flow of oil to the rams with a rudder angle indicator. Wheel can be turned clockwise or anti clockwise for going port or starboard or vice versa.
- If there is a power failure, through sound power telephone receive orders from the bridge for the rudder angle. As soon as you get the orders, turn the wheel and check the rudder angle indicator.
- A routine check should always be done for proper working of manual emergency system and steering gear system. An emergency steering drill should be carried out every month (prescribed duration – 3 months) in the steering gear room with proper communication with bridge to train all the ship’s staff for proper operation of the system so that in emergency situation ships control can be regained as soon as possible, avoiding collision or grounding.