What is the Vacuum Brake Booster Check Valve
The vacuum brake booster check valve is a component of the brake booster, and plays a vital role in brake system operation. It is a one-way valve that lets air to be sucked out of the booster, but does not allow air to enter it. This is a safety solution to provide that if the engine is turned off, or if frequent stops or pedal presses are needed, the brakes still operate. Its capacity ensures that you have enough boost for several brake applications. The vacuum brake booster check valve links the vacuum hose from the engine to the body of the brake booster.
Bear in mind:
- The vacuum brake booster check valve is not designed to want maintenance, so it will not be inspected during routine services.
- Damage to the vacuum hose from the engine can mimic problems with the check valve.
How it is done:
- The faulty vacuum brake booster check valve is found and identified
- The vacuum brake booster check valve is taken out
- The new vacuum brake booster check valve is installed
- The brakes are tested for proper vacuum brake booster check valve operation
- The car is road tested and checked for proper vacuum brake booster check valve and brakes operation
Many different causes can create problems with the braking system, including air in the lines, dirty/burned brake fluid, and more. If you check a vacuum brake booster check valve issue, have one of our expert mechanics diagnose it.
What common symptoms show you may need to replace the Vacuum Brake Booster Check Valve?
- Brake pedal feels spongy when pressed
- Brake pedal is very hard to press
- Brake pedal begins as easy to press then becomes very difficult
How vital is this service?
While a leak in the vacuum brake booster check valve will not reduce your ability to stop, it will make braking much more difficult and increase your stopping distance. It should be repaired as soon as possible.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW: