What You will Need
Fresh battery or source
When your boat’s engine does not turn over you may need to jump start the boat battery. Jump starting a boat battery is often much easier than you might imagine and is very similar to jump starting your vehicle.
Inspect the Battery
If you are having issues with your boat starting then you will probably immediately think of the battery being the culprit. First check that there isn’t anything which could stop the battery from functioning properly. Check that nothing is blocking the connections, and that all of the wires are intact and in good condition.
READ ALSO:WAYS TO WIRE A BOAT IGNITION SWITCH
- Before you jump start your boat you have to make sure that every single electrical appliance on your boat is switched off.
- Turn off all of these electrical appliances so that nothing is using the battery.
- To jump start your boat you can either use a vehicle battery or another boat.
- Linking the terminals of the battery together, but make sure you don’t connect the 2 leads to one another.
- Wait a few minutes to let the battery to get some charge again.
- Turn the key in your boat as normal and the engine should start.
- Disconnect the leads and the battery should charge up normally.