Before installing a power door lock actuator, familiarize yourself with the parts.
WHAT IT DOES
A power door lock actuator converts a vehicle’s manual door locks to automated locks. It also functions as a keyless alarm system that can be operated with a remote control.
Locate an actuator kit that includes all necessary hardware to make installation quick and easy.
STEPS FOR THE INSTALLATION
- Take off the interior panel of the driver’s car door.
- Where necessary, make a sketch of the mechanics of the lock assembly.
- Find a suitable positioning area for the power lock rod. Note that none of the original assembly should be removed else the power unit will not be able to function properly. The power lock rod can be positioned directly to the original lock rod or to the lock rod actuator lever.
- If you choose to mount the power lock rod to the lever, you must drill a hole next to the original lock rod too. Note that the hole has to be the size of the power lock rod retaining clip.
- Once the hole is drilled, put the retaining clip and reinstall the lock assembly.
- Connect the power lock rod to the lock assembly and one of the power actuators.
- Push the original lock button and the power actuator together, either into the up or down position. Ensure that they are in the same position.
- Once mounted, move the power lock rod up and down to be sure if moves from
- Hold the power actuator lever and move it from side to side till you find a flat planting area.
- Make the locked to the unlocked position.
- Drill two holes and then bolt the actuator in place.
- Run the wire harness into the door and plug it into the bottom of the power actuator.
- Tie the wires to the door frame and keep them out of the way.
- Before reattaching the interior panel, power the unit and check if it is functioning properly.
- Find a convenient location for the rocker switch, and you have successfully installed a power door lock actuator.