A car stereo has always been a centerpiece of any car audio system. Most of them come loaded with great features that will make your entertainment complete. Also known as a head unit, radio, or receiver, today’s car stereo performs other complex functions to enable you to enjoy your drive time. You can then equip it with extras such as car amp for sound quality. To understand how to purchase the best touchscreen car head unit, you will need to understand it as having three important components:
- The amplifier
The amplifier is what boosts the low voltage audio signals which are coming from the preamp section into the high voltage audio signals which are sent out to the speakers.
- The Preamp
The preamp area is where you will make your adjustment of sound, and it includes simple volume, fader, balance, source selection and tone adjustment. It also contains sophisticated things such as equalizers, crossovers, and time correction.
- The source
The source includes CD or DVD player, AM/FM tuner, USB input, satellite radio, and iPod.
Why Install touch Screen Car Stereo In Your Car
You might be asking yourself, why put a large screen on your dashboard? If the screen is double sized, you are going to see all the information you need to expose on your it without having to strain. You will also have options like rear view camera available and navigation available to you. A good one will come with the following features:
- A rearview camera for safety
- It should be able to offer you with alerts for sudden dangers
- The display should be big enough
- The Bluetooth usability should be available
- GPS navigation
- User-friendly HD radio
- Convenient stereo controls
- Dual-zone listening
- Should be attractive from the outside too
How to Install the Touchscreen
Now that you have bought the touch screen with all the features that are going to add value to your entertainment, what will you require to install it and how will you do it? The system of the touchscreen makes it possible for you to change a radio station or adjust the stereo with just a touch of your finger. If you do the installation on your own, you are going to save on the cost of paying a technician to do it for you. It can be done in few hours, and all you need is to follow the steps and have maximum concentration.
Requirements for Installation
- Screwdriver for screwing and unscrewing the screws
- The new head unit
- Insulating tape for protecting the wires
Steps to follow
- Come up with a detailed plan by first organizing all the equipment you will need for the installation to avoid stopping in the middle of the installation to look for something to use.
- The in-dash radio normally referred to as the head unit, which controls the car system has to be removed. The new touchscreen head unit should be the correct size for your particular vehicle. If your vehicle uses a single din that measures 180 by 50 mm panel, go for it. If it uses a double din that measures 180 x 100mm, go for it.
- Check out for any screws and make sure that they are unscrewed. In case your car uses hex bolts around the radio, do it cautiously to avoid breaking the dashboard.
- The set screws which are adhering the stock radio should then be unscrewed and pulled out of the old head unit.
- The colored wires behind the radio should be disconnected. While using caution, try and pry apart the wire harness which is connecting the radio to the car.
- The radio antenna should be disconnected and placed aside the head unit that you previously removed. Never throw the old head unit away because when you want to sell the car in future, you will need to re-install the radio back and keep your touchscreen with you for reinstallation in your new car.
- The antenna cable should be connected, and then the new head unit should be connected. Time to turn on the radio to check if the connection is properly working. If it does, then screw it in tightly and connect the audio/visual cables to the touchscreen monitor. If it doesn’t turn on, check out the splice in the wire harness. You can fix it by removing the radio and checking if the all the connections have been made correctly.
- It is now time to secure the head unit and reassemble the dashboard and start enjoying your videos.
Following the above steps will make it possible for you to do the installation in the shortest time possible. Follow them, and you will not regret why you read my article.