Is Your Driving Safe With The Air Bag Light On?
If your car airbag light comes on, it is greatly advised you do not ignore it. As with all the lights on your dash, it can get very tempting to ignore one and think there is no big deal. However, if your car airbag light comes on, and you ignore it, it is possible you could be playing Russian roulette with your life and the lives of your passengers too. It might imply nothing much actually, or it could imply that in the event of an accident, your airbags may not deploy. Bearing that in mind, below are 6 vital things you need to know:
- On your car dash, you will observe a light that either says Air Bag or SRS. SRS that stands for “supplemental restraint system.” In some cars, you might equally see an illustration of a person with an airbag that is deploying.
- In some cars, you might see a warning saying, “airbag deactivated,” or, “air bag off.”
- If your airbag light comes on, it could equally show an issue with your seat belts.
- Your airbag or SRS light might equally come on if your car was in an accident that got the crash sensors in your car activated, but not to the point where the airbag were deployed. In this situation, you would need to have your airbag reset.
- Airbags may equally fail to deploy if your vehicle sustained serious water damage to the point where the sensors got corroded.
- A qualified mechanic can then diagnose issue with your air bags, and know the particular reason why your Air Bag Light is lighting.
Now is it safe to drive with your Air Bag Light on? Well, maybe. It could be an issue in the sensor that makes the light to come on. Or, the issue could be that your airbags will not deploy if you wind up in a collision. It is not advised you take the chance.
A mechanic can check and diagnose why your airbag light is on. If it is an issue with a sensor, the sensor can be changed. If your airbags requires reset, a mechanic can equally do that for you. You should always think that if your Air Bag Light gets lit, your safety could be greatly compromised, so get it checked out and the problem diagnosed as soon as possible.